Monday, August 31, 2009

Bright Stars On The Rise

Below is the trailer for Bright Star, the Jane Campion film that debuted at Cannes this year to favorable reviews, with more than a few critics calling it "a return to form" for Campion.

I'm pretty excited about this one. Jane Campion's classic The Piano is a very special film to me, personally. Not only is it an astonishing film, but it's the first movie I watched when I was young that made me realize that film could be art, not just entertainment.

Bright Star has its limited release on September 18th, so when it reaches a theater near me I'll definitely be catching it. It's the story of the poet John Keats and his love affair with neighbor Fanny Brawne, which inspired his work. It stars relative newcomers Ben Whishaw and Abbie Cornish, who both received some praise for their work back at Cannes.

I'm still a little upset with Abbie Cornish for being a low-life homewrecker, but it's exciting nonetheless when new talent is on the horizon. We'll see soon enough if she can give that other newcomer a run for her money during awards season.

0 comments:

Post a Comment