Wednesday, August 19, 2009

For The Love Of Quentin

Inglourious Basterds comes out in two days. As always when one of Quentin Tarantino's films hits theaters, everyone on every film site everywhere is discussing him and his works non-stop.

Now, I'm not saying Tarantino isn't worth talking about. His work is practically its own genre, and there's no doubt he is a master with dialogue and can draw great performances out of his actors, but I do get a little fatigued hearing nothing but "Quentin Quentin Quentin" for weeks on end. I think the reason is because I can tell how much he likes himself. I'm a big fan of several of his films (I'm watching Reservoir Dogs as I type), but his ego is annoying as shit.

That being said, it's hard to find a filmmaker with a more obvious love for the movies, and that's definitely something I admire.

Normally I would wait for a Tarantino film to hit DVD shelves rather than shelling out $8 at the theater to watch him pat himself on the back for two hours, but this time is going to have to be an exception. I make it a point to see all the Oscar-nominated performances each year, and Christoph Waltz is getting buzz so loud it's impossible to ignore. Will he be the first Tarantino-directed Oscar-winner?
xxx
I'm guessing I won't be the film's biggest supporter, but at least when you see one of Quentin's movies, you're seeing something original.

0 comments:

Post a Comment