Friday, August 21, 2009

Hardwicke Miraculously Lands More Work



Catherine Hardwicke has signed on to direct of a gothic retelling of Little Red Riding Hood for Appian Way and Warner Bros. The updated version of the classic tale has been titled The Girl With the Red Riding Hood, with a script from Orphan scribe David Leslie Johnson.

Hardwicke's first feature film was the indie gem Thirteen, which starred a young Evan Rachel Wood. She has since done The Nativity Story, Lords of Dogtown, and the god-awful Twilight. As a big fan of Thirteen (especially the superb supporting work of Holly Hunter), I'm hoping this new assignment can reassure me that Hardwicke is still hiding some talent somewhere. Seriously, I'd rather gnaw off my own arm than suffer through Twilight again. I shouldn't have seen it at all, but I was bullied into it by a fanatic roommate. It was a disaster. This from someone in the target audience.

This gothic version of Red Riding Hood is planned to be much truer to the original 17th century version, which apparently ended with Riding Hood being slaughtered by the wolf. No casting details or release date have been announced.

0 comments:

Post a Comment