Saturday, August 15, 2009

That Old Familiar Feeling

Every year it seems there is one movie that I connect to months before its release, love passionately, see at least 5 times in the theater, and drag all of my friends and family members to whether they like it or not (they always thank me later). Last year it was Slumdog Millionaire, the year before, Juno. I inherently know my movie soulmates before I even see them. Really.

This year I'm getting that feeling about An Education. It's about a 16-year-old girl in 1960s England who takes school and getting into college very seriously, until she meets a much older man who teaches her about life outside the classroom. It was a big hit at Sundance this past January and has been wowing critics and members of the press left and right ever since. Most of the praise has been heaped on its young star, Carey Mulligan, who is THE person to watch this season. There's a lot of excitement surrounding her this year.

October 9th cannot come soon enough.

0 comments:

Post a Comment