Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Best British Films: 2. Withnail and I

I'm settling down this morning with some tea and another movie from the list of top British films (see sidebar), Withnail and I. You can watch the movie for free right here, if you're interested.

Withnail and I tells the story of a pair of drug-addled failed actors who take a vacation to an isolated country home. Hilarity ensues, of course. The two slacking drunkards (played excellently by Richard E. Grant and Paul McGann) deliver some of the funniest lines I've ever heard, and the backdrop of 1969 England and its dying hippie culture thematically matches the pair's withering, baseless friendship. ***1/2 / 4

(As the two attempt to clean their kitchen sink)
Withnail: What is it? What have you found?
Marwood: Matter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment