Monday, September 14, 2009

Drawing Inspiration

Yesterday I decided to take a break from all the heavy films I'd been watching of late. After 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, I just did not have the energy for any more thematic elements. I curled up last night to watch The Rescuers, a vastly underappreciated Disney gem.
xxx
If you've seen it, you remember Madame Medusa, one of the most hysterical Disney villains ever. For some reason last night when I saw her I was strongly reminded of someone. I thought perhaps I was just remembering her from all the times I watched this movie growing up, and so I tried to put it out of my mind.
xxx
But the feeling that I knew someone like her was persistent. And then it hit me:



It's uncanny. The vibrant red hair and green eyes, the floppy, sagging anatomy and ill-fitting dresses, the drunken manner in which they stumble about, the get-rich-quick schemes that involve kidnapping youngsters, the bossy, inconsiderate attitudes toward the men in their lives. Julia and Medusa could be sisters.
xxx
If Tilda Swinton announced that Madame Medusa was an inspiration in tackling the role of Julia, I would not be surprised.

0 comments:

Post a Comment