Sunday, October 4, 2009

Bright Star, Briefly

I finally got around to seeing Bright Star yesterday. I had high hopes for this film since Jane Campion's The Piano is easily in my top 5 favorite movies ever and was one of my first experiences with artistic cinema.

I have to tell you, though, that I was majorly disappointed. I was completely aware that I was watching a movie, watching actors, the entire length of its running time. And I was not affected at all emotionally, even though I'm quite positive the filmmakers expected me to be. Bright Star just didn't speak to me.

That being said, the below-the-line work here is phenomenal. Beautiful cinematography, art direction, set and costume designs. In particular I'm remembering a scene in which a room is filled with living butterflies. The visual aesthetic is breathtaking and deserving of recognition this year, though it would have been nice if there were a powerful narrative to match.

I wish Bright Star had moved me, that it was another among countless period romances that have my heart. But it's not. I'm in the minority with this opinion, so buy a ticket and let me know what you thought.

4 comments:

DEZMOND said...

shall I say "told ya' so" :)))
As soon as I saw who is directing, and when I saw the trailer after that I knew it will be another empty, depressive, cold movie which just can't affect you emotionally. She just can't make movies that can speak to the audience.

Danny King said...

I agree that the film is certainly too emotionally distant for its own good. There was really no point in the film when I felt any real power. However, I think Cornish, whishaw, and Schneider -- Cornish to the greatest extent -- all good enough to make the film at least worth seeing.

Alex Constantin said...

I myself didn't like the trailer. And the casting. So, I'll probably have a problem with it!

but the thing is: if you give me incredible cinematography and gorgeous costume design & art direction, I might fall for it.

Rae Kasey said...

@DEZMOND: I LOVE The Piano, so I was suckered in! Definitely a disappointment, though.

@Danny King: Cornish was great, but honestly she's only nomination great. If a performance like this won in almost any year, I'd be upset.

@Alex in Movieland: The images alone are worth the ticket price, but they're the only thing that worked for me here.

Post a Comment