Thursday, October 15, 2009

FIDDLER ON THE ROOF

Based on the stage play by Joseph Stein
Screenplay by Joseph Stein
Directed by Norman Jewison

Topol
Norma Crane
Leonard Frey
Molly Picon
Paul Mann

Premiere date: November 3, 1971
G

Poor milkman Tevye clings desperately to the old Jewish traditions of his family while all around him the world changes, day by day. His three daughters marry men he considers more and more unacceptable, and anti-Semitism threatens to drive him from his home. His love, pride and faith help him face the oppression of turn-of-the-century czarist Russia.

8 Academy Award Nominations, 3 Wins
Best Picture
Best Director
Best Actor - Topol
Best Supporting Actor - Leonard Frey
Best Cinematography
Best Art Direction
Best Sound
Best Original Score

2 comments:

Tom said...

Hi Rae,
Good capsule review, really sums it up.

I found this movie to be one of the most life-affirming I've ever seen, filled with enchanting music throughout and unforgettable songs; it's one of my favorite of all time.

Rae Kasey said...

I agree! It's been a favorite of mine since I was little and I just adore Topol's performance.

Post a Comment