Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Bourne Again?



I watched all three films in the Bourne franchise yesterday. It was the first time I'd seen the first two since they were playing in theaters, and the first time I'd seen The Bourne Ultimatum period. These are some of the best action films of the decade (especially Ultimatum), and at this point they've become more interesting than the Bond franchise.

Entertainment Weekly's fall movie preview is out this week and in it they have a brief interview with Matt Damon about his two films up this season, The Informant! and Invictus. When he's asked about the status of the possible fourth Bourne movie, he responds with:
"We're hoping to make a fourth, but we don't have a story and we don't have a
script. I assume it can happen, but we have to come up with a story line that's
deserving. I mean, if you see the Bourne character come out and say, "I can't
remember" again, you're going to get up and walk out of the theater. It's like,
"Get over it, buddy - it's been three movies. What the f%@#?!"
Damon has also brought up the physically demanding action and fight sequences of the films and the bigger tole they take on him as he gets older.

I have to say, even with the involvement of Damon and Paul Greengrass, the director of the two most recent Bourne films, I'm not enthused about the idea of a Bourne 4. The ending of Ultimatum wrapped the whole series up perfectly, in my opinion. As much as I love the films, I'm praying that this Bourne is dead in the water.

0 comments:

Post a Comment