Monday, October 19, 2009

Crazy/Brilliant

Or maybe just crazy. Let me quickly throw my two cents in on Joaquin Phoenix's pending career as a rap artist, which may or may not be a huge, intricately-planned publicity stunt.
xx
If Phoenix indeed has musical aspiritions, great! Whatever works for him. But I really hope he's not finished with film quite yet. I thought he was great in his two Oscar-nominated roles - jealous, murderous Commodus in Gladiator and country music legend Johnny Cash in Walk the Line - but I've just finished watching Two Lovers, and I think it's his best work yet. Phoenix drives the movie with a remarkable performance as a simple man who's as torn apart by his passions as he is driven by them. If for no other reason, give Two Lovers a watch to see Phoenix lay his soul bare.
xx
If Joaquin really is calling it quits with his acting career, I'll be disappointed. He's a screen presence that could give us wondrous performances to talk about for years to come.

2 comments:

Danny King said...

I thoroughly enjoyed Two Lovers. Phoenix was brilliant and all of the other performances were on par. I thought it was a really smart film and the acting was very satisfying for me.

Snipes said...

It's all a stunt, all for a documentary he's doing with Casey Affleck. If he was going to go into Blues, Country or even Rock I might believe it, but Rap... its got to be a stunt for this documentary.

Post a Comment